Do you ever sit and wonder where your coffee comes from? Where its beans are grown and harvested? Well to tell you the truth, I never did until I collaborated with @Nespressousa and learned that not all coffee is the same, and how it’s made matters.
The Nespresso Reviving Origins program has helped to empower farmers, restore land and create rare (and delicious!) coffees from regions where coffee growing was under threat. Did you know in regions like Puerto Rico and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, coffee farming has been threatened by environmental and economic challenges? Neither did I.
I'm happy to learn about all that Nespresso and its Reviving Origins program has done to help and continue bringing us delicious coffees from around the globe… think we can all cheers to that!
I love how different these coffees taste and vary from region to region. I am particularly fond of AMAHA awe UGANDA and KAHAWA ya CONGO . I’m excited to share more info with you about the five Reviving Origins coffees and what Nespresso has done (and continues to do) to make an impact in the regions:
1) The Democratic Republic of the Congo: Unfortunately, I’ve come to find out that 95% of households in the Kivu region in the eastern Congo are experiencing financial deprivation due to healthcare challenges and 45% of households do not have access to clean water. To help address this challenge, Nespresso is in a unique partnership with Asili, the social business platform of Eastern Congo Initiative, TechnoServe and Olam (with Virunga Coffee Company) that will help provide clean water and essential healthcare to over 80,000 people in eastern Congo by 2024.
Coffee notes: KAHAWA ya CONGO is smooth and nutty with hints of walnut making it a silky texture when combined with milk.
2) Uganda: This region has suffered from drought and climate change, which has caused coffee farms in this area to suffer. Nespresso has teamed up with Agri Evolve and Kayagalani to train over 2,000 farmers on how to successfully farm coffee beans sustainably, helping improve the quality of coffee.
Coffee notes: AMAHA awe UGANDA has clean and rich notes from the mountains, which give this coffee beautiful floral notes and hints of sandalwood.
3) Colombia: There has been quite a bit of conflict in the Caqueta and the El Rosario regions of Colombia, which forced farmers to abandon their farms. To help bring back coffee farming in the region, Nespresso agronomists have worked with more than 1,000 farmers supporting quality coffee production and that production has grown by 10% 2 years in a row. That's pretty impressive.
Coffee notes: ESPERANZA de COLOMBIA is a rounded and balanced coffee, which gives off a delicate acidity.
4) Puerto Rico: Hurricanes Maria and Irma destroyed 80% of the island's coffee trees and harvest so Nespresso committed $1 million in a three-year initiative to bring back to life Puerto Rico's coffee industry. Today, Nespresso provides training and support to Puerto Rican farmers and has donated 160,000 trees with a goal to plant 2.25 million coffee trees on the island in collaboration with the Hispanic Federation.
Coffee notes: CAFECITO de PUERTO RICO has aromatic notes of cocoa and black pepper, which makes this coffee an intense and creamy blend.
5) Zimbabwe: This region has experienced economic and climate instability since the 1980s. Nespresso has committed $1.3 million to help farmers to revitalize their coffee crops and help fight against climate challenges in the future. Reviving Origins has helped increase exportable coffee from smallholder farmers by 9% in Eastern Zimbabwe.
Coffee notes: Derived from the Honde Valley, TAMUKA mu ZIMBABWE is a complex and bright coffee with fruity notes of cranberry, currant and grape.
As you can see, Nespresso has had their hand in preserving and revitalizing coffee farming regions around the world. While supporting hardworking farmers, Nespresso continues to make delicious coffees available to us around the globe. I'm so proud to be partnering with a company that has such a positive and giving hand in helping others around the world. Be sure to check out the link below to learn a little bit more about Reviving Origins and the regions that Nespresso is working with to help bring you delicious coffee.
Every sip contributes to creating a better future.