The Best Sticky Bun Recipe
What is one decadent treat that you just can't live without? well mine tends to usually be chocolate chip cookies but after trying these easy to make sticky buns, I have a new favorite. Scroll down to see how these delicious and easy buns are made and you'll never buy store bought cinnamon rolls again. With flaky, buttery puff pastry mixed with brown sugar, cinnamon and raisin all topped with a buttery pecan topping, these will easily become a staple in your kitchen on the weekends or for brunch.
I first heard about these sticky buns from Barefoot Contessa. She used to always make these in her bakery every morning and would have people lined up on the streets to get their hands on one of her sticky buns. I've opted to forgo using homemade dough and use a puff pastry and top it all off with a delicious and creamy icing drizzle.
You'll find the full recipe and YouTube video below on how I made these delicious little boogers. You can forgo adding the icing at the end if you'd like for a more traditional sticky bun. Both equally as delicious.
(For the Buns)
* 12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter) at room temperature
* 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
* 1/2 cup chopped pecans
* 1 package (2 sheets) puff pastry, defrosted
(For the Filling)
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and then cooled
* 2/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
* 3 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 cup (1/2 for each pastry) raisins
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place a 12 cup standard muffin tin on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
3. In the bowl of a mixer. Combine the 12 tablespoons butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar
4. Place 1 tablespoon of mixture into each of the 12 muffin cups
5. Distribute the pecans evenly into 12 muffin cups
6. Lightly flour wooden board or stone surface
7. Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry and brush with the melted butter
8. Leave a 1/2 - 1 inch border on the puff pastry, sprinkle each sheet with 1/3 cup of the brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1/2 cup of raisins.
9. Starting with the end closest to you, roll the pastry up snugly finishing the roll with the seam side down.
10. Trim the ends of the roll about 1/2 inch and discard. Slice the roll into 6 equal pieces each being 1 1/2 inches wide.
11. Place each pice, spiral side up, in 6 of the muffin cups. Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry to make 12 sticky buns.
12. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sticky buns are golden to dark brown on top and firm to the touch.
13. Allow to cool for 5 minutes only, invert the buns onto the parchment paper and cool completely.
14. (optional) make a quick icing for the sticky buns by mixing roughly 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar and about 2 tbs of French vanilla creamer or milk and mix together. Should have a consistency of cinnamon roll icing from store. Thin enough to drizzle but thick enough to not be watery. Drizzle all over your sticky buns and enjoy.